Before You Hire a Roofing Contractor, Ask These 12 Questions
We all hope we are choosing a roofing contractor who is honest and will do a professional job as promised, yet sadly, each year, the Better Business Bureau receives thousands of complaints about roofing contractors and their dishonest, deceptive practices.
At Storm Guard Roofing and Construction of Chantilly, we believe that, when evaluating roofing contractors, it is extremely important to be informed and to get answers to several general business questions from a prospective roofing contractor before ever making your final decision.
If you’re talking to a professional and credible contractor, they will welcome your questions and gladly supply you with the answers and customer reviews. Contractors who get annoyed by too many questions are usually the contractors to back away from.
So, here are 12 general questions you should ask a roofing contractor to help you in your roofing contractor decision process:
1. How long have you been in business?
2. How local is your business?
3. Who owns your business, and for how long have they owned it?
4. What jobs do you have that I can go see?
5. Who, exactly, will be installing my roof? Are they employees or sub-contractors?
6. What training and experience does the crew have? Have they been trained by the manufacturer of my roofing?
7. When would you be able to schedule my job?
8. How long will my project take?
9. Do you have proper licensing and certification? Insurance? Workers’ Comp? Please show me proof of these things.
10. Is a building permit required for my project and, if so, will you be pulling one?
11. What steps do you take for the safety of your workers?
12. What steps do you take to ensure the safety of my home and my family?
If you are satisfied with the answers to this first set of questions, you are now ready to move on to the questions where the rubber meets the road. These next questions are the ones to differentiate the knowledgeable roofers from the scammers. We will review the second set of questions in our next blog.
If you have additional questions about selecting the right contractor, Storm Guard of Chantilly is glad to provide more information and to provide a cost-free exterior inspection of your home. Call 703-421-7340 now to schedule time with us!