How to Make a Wise Roofing Decision for You and Your Home
In our June blog, we provided 12 general business questions to ask roofing contractors before committing to hiring one. Today’s blog focuses on 10 additional questions that are more specific to roofing and your unique project.
First, we recommend that you spend time examining your existing roof. Walk around your home a few times and even use binoculars if you can to get a good look at your roof from all angles. You can also use online satellite imagery to look for unusual areas on your roof.
You want to look for areas on your roof where debris has collected, extreme wear has occurred, and/or a lot of mildew is present. These indicate areas where perhaps something different should be done when your home is re-roofed. Also look for any “dead valley” areas where water will collect and not properly drain from your roof.
Having work done to your roof is a big deal, and you need to know you can trust your roofer to do the work to the highest standard. To help you, here are 10 roofing-specific questions to ask.
1. Does my roof need to be repaired or replaced?
2. Why do you think it needs to be replaced and will you remove the old roof?
3. Is there evidence of inadequate ventilation that I should address?
4. How will you access my roof?
5. How will you remove any materials that are torn off my roof?
6. Will you have a dumpster on the site?
7. How quickly can you react, and what will you do, in the event of inclement weather?
8. How will you protect my property and landscaping from damage?
9. How is payment handled?
10. What might cause a deviation from the contracted price?
We encourage you to be diligent when researching your next roof. If you do, you are more likely to have a positive experience with your roofing project. If you have additional questions about selecting the right contractor, Storm Guard Roofing and Construction of Chantilly is glad to provide more information and to provide a cost-free exterior inspection of your home. Now’s a great time to call us at 703-421-7340 to schedule an appointment!