What You Should Know About Cleaning Your Roof
Did you know that one of the most important steps of roof maintenance is roof cleaning?
The benefits of roof cleaning are many and include extending the life of your roof, helping the roof stay functional for a longer period of time and preventing decay, which could lead to expensive repairs or even a complete roof replacement.
Here are few tips to consider about roof cleaning before you hire a contractor or start on the process yourself.
Yes, you can clean your roof yourself, but before you begin, make sure you look at all the facts:
- When you’re purchasing cleaning products, find a company that supplies multiple formulas and offers preventative solutions.
- There’s no easy way to get your roof cleaned, so you need to be sure to set aside at least a full afternoon and be ready to use some “elbow grease,” no matter what sort of cleaners you’ve purchased for the job.
- If you use the right chemicals and proper rinsing techniques, you can count on the chemicals not doing any damage to your shingles or your landscape.
Safety is Extremely Important
People who are not used to working on roofs may not take the necessary precautions — making fall protection a major issue. If you can do the job from a ladder and maintain three points of contact, you may not need fall protection, but it will certainly be difficult to apply the necessary soaps and water without letting go of the ladder. If you use an aerial lift or do the work from the roof itself, you are definitely going to need to have fall protection. Don’t take this safety tip lightly. Falls are a major cause of occupational deaths and the number one cause in construction.
Roof Algae is Much More Than an Aesthetic Concern
Having algae on your roof is certainly unattractive. However, it’s more than that, and it’s not something you can put off taking care of because roof algae is a living thing, and it’s feeding off your roof. If it’s not taken care of, it will take years off the life of your roof.
Roof Cleaning is Not an Overpriced Service
Roofing contractors typically charge a fair price, especially considering the cost of a complete roof replacement. Considering the importance of this service, plus the amount you’ll end up spending without it, it’s well worth the cost of hiring a professional to do it for you.
There are Two Main Ways to Clean a Roof
The two main methods for roof cleaning are:
- Pressure Washing – highly-pressurized water is sprayed on the roof to remove any mold, algae, dirt, or grime, and
- Chemical Cleaning – sometimes called “soft washing,” chemicals are used to remove harmful things from your roof.
Each of these methods has their strengths and their shortcomings. If you hire a contractor, make sure they are able to find the right balance of effectiveness, without harming any parts of your property.
We encourage you to be extra careful if you decide to clean your roof yourself and to be selective about the roof cleaning professional you hire, if you choose to go in that direction. Should you have additional questions about the proper maintenance or cleaning of your roof, Storm Guard Roofing and Construction of Chantilly is glad to provide more information and to provide a cost-free exterior inspection of your home. Now’s a great time to call us at 703-421-7340 to schedule an appointment!